Sunday, September 14, 2008

De Frisbeesport

After 3 1/2 weeks without playing Ultimate Frisbee, I finally got back on the field on Thursday with a group at TU Delft called The Force Elektro. They are a friendly crowd that plays twice weekly on the TU Delft Sports Center fields. Because it is very wet here and the ground is soft, the Sports Center fields are turf. The particular field on which we played had the nice kind of turf with little rubber "dirt" pellets. The turf fields are in high demand, so we played sideways on the field in small numbers (4-5 per team).

Not knowing what to expect (and having thrown away my duct-taped cleats upon leaving Florida), I bought turf shoes. Playing on turf isn't really all that different from grass except 1) diving is less comfortable and 2) traction is so good that I felt like I was going to break my ankles on cuts. Hopefully I can play once a week from now on (and hopefully I can talk Laura into joining). It will be the only true exercise I'll get here. (Sorry to my elderly readers, but when you're 25, walking simply doesn't count as exercise yet.)

We just got back from a weekend trip to Brugge (Bruges), Belgium. There will be plenty of details forthcoming, probably tomorrow.

No comments: