Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Spinning

Since I had already forked over my Euros for a sport card, I decided to make the most of it and attend a Spin class this afternoon.

Stand-up and take notice Gainesville Health and Fitness Center, a gym at a school that has the technology savvy of a third world country has figured out to manage attendance at a Spin class effectively. There is no showing up an hour before class to sit on a bike and save the next five for friends that never show-up. There are never 31 bikes cards and only 29 bikes. You simply register online for the class up to 5 hours ahead of time and show-up to claim your bike card at least 5 minutes before the start of class. If you don't show-up five minutes before class starts your card is given to someone on the waiting list or a walk-in. It was wonderful to mosey on into the gym 7 minutes before class, set my bike-up, and get pedaling; I think it may have been the first time I didn't already have 10+ miles logged before the start of class.

And then I realized it...3 minutes into class...the class was going to be all in Dutch...

Actually it didn't matter at all. Assuming the girl next to me wasn't cheating- I just turned up and lowered the resistance when she did. Though there were a few times when I almost started talking to her, then I realized Jennie wasn't sitting next to me. And hey, 80's music, "Don't Cha" and Britney Spears are all alive and well in the Dutch aerobics studio.

I'll be back next week...do you think I can get through a Dutch Pilates class?

No comments: