Friday, March 20, 2009

Cliffs of Moher

After dropping our stuff at our B&B in Doolin, we headed to the Cliffs of Moher for some hiking. We planned to hike the 6 km route from the visitors' center, around Hag's Head, and back.We parked the car at the visitors' center, walked past the Gatlinburg-type gift shops and out to the edge of the cliff and its dramatic scenery. After snapping a few photos, we headed towards the path along the cliffs. Just past the nice paved, rail enforce view point there was a sign warning of danger and prohibiting entry to the path. (Too many people have been plummeting over the edge lately, it seems.) But we could see the path and there were many people on it. Plus, the guidebooks all talk about the path. "No big deal," I thought, and we climbed over the barricade.

Did I mention cliffs? Well, the cliffs rise up 214 meters (702 feet) off the Atlantic Ocean. Have I told you about my irrational, paralyzing fear of heights? If not, you should ask my mother about climbing lighthouses in Savannah.

I took about a dozen steps on the path and froze. I couldn't go any farther. Images of me soaring over the edge were playing like a broken record in my head. I turned around to go back. And I couldn't move. I literally had to crawl back past the barricade.

Needless to say, we didn't complete the hike. But we did get some lovely pictures of the view.

You can find more pictures of the cliffs here.

No comments: