Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bergamo

Milan is wonderful in its own unique way, but it isn't a city that lends itself to lingering. So off we went to Bergamo for the day.

The lower town of Bergamo was nothing special, but the Citta Alta was made for a postcard. We took the funicular from lower Bergamo to the upper city and stepped out into a hilltop town, complete with a city wall and cobblestone streets. We wandered down the narrow lanes, gazed up at bright church facades, and found our way to the main piazza. We grabbed un etto of focaccia pizza and a cold beer and had a lovely picnic in the sun. (We love - and miss - the sun.)
After having our fill of anchovy & mozzarella and prosciutto, blue cheese, & walnut focaccia, we took the next funicular up to the old village on the next hilltop. The hilltop was filled with old farms, gorgeous villas, and breathtaking views of the Italian countryside. Of course every hilltop needs a castle to defend it and this one was no exception. The best thing about this castle was it was basically a free city park to roam and explore. Imagine being a school-age boy in Bergamo and having your very own castle to run around in every afternoon.You can find the rest of our pictures from Bergamo here.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I wished I could go there, I love Italy and all there beautiful place and also some unknown places.

It's just beautiful and your post makes me miss it even more.

Andrea said...

That sounds amazing--and now I'm totally craving some pizza. :oD Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

My lap top is being a pain in the a¤¤ so I can't see your pictures, however I will use the link....

I love all of your travel posts... Gets me in the mood for Italy... 3 weeks & counting! Woo Hoo...